Monday, December 13, 2010

Twice a year...

Twice a year...it seems that's how often I update this blog now lol but on the other hand, this way I'll have great things to update you on! right?! haha anywho...been a while since the last post...so why the post now? Well, call it a new year's resolution? Turning a new leaf? Whatever it is, I know I gotta get back in the habit of staying on top of this. Been busy with work this whole year that it became an excuse to move away from a lot of the things that I enjoyed doing in my spare time...I did find time to do this though...

This anthology is the first of a volume of three (or was it two...or four lol) The editor, is a close friend and mentor of mine who approached me with this project towards the end of 2009. The cover art itself is titled "The ocean/VASA in us" which was the overall theme of the two classes he taught that Winter. With this piece, I aimed to highlight the fact that our Pacific peoples are as much a part of the ocean (Pacific ocean that is) as she was a part of us. Mainstream ideology maintains the ocean as an expanse or space that divides and isolates us into confined pieces of land that we now call islands. One of the things this anthology seeks to convey in response to this is the ocean as a sacred space that connects, binds and brings us together rather than isolate us. We navigate her seas, we travel across her waters, but we are always connected to our families, our loved ones, and our land through her VASA.

Well...this is one of several great things that have happened for me within the past couple of weeks. I've got several commissions to work on, a story that I've been thinking about for years now in the process of scripting, a collab project with a good friend, and a new lady in my life.........siiiiike hahahahaha jus kidding :) or am I? hahahaha naaahh...tune in next time...same bat time, same bat channel!

Mou nofo a!

No comments: